Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Son's Surgery

My 4 year old was born with congenital glaucoma. Congenital means it was present at birth. Glaucoma is eye fluid buildup in the eyes. Everyone’s eyes produce fluid. Glaucoma is when the fluid cannot drain properly. And like a balloon that is filled past its capacity, my son’s eye stretched, which in turn stretches the retina in the back of the eye, eventually the strain was too great and the retina collapsed. The retina is the wall in the back of the eye that light bounces off and allows you to see. Without the retina, you are blind. Its like shutting off a light in a dark room. You cannot see anything.
For the last 4 years his vision and glaucoma have been great. Then out of nowhere, boom the other shoe dropped. I noticed my son wasn’t acting himself and his right eye didn’t look quite right. Ihad this nagging feeling something wasn’t right. I took my son to the eye doctor 3 times, The doctors had a hard time getting a good examination of my son, because he just wasn’t being cooperative during the in office exam. Later we knew why, his eye probably hurt and he didn’t want them to touch it. Finally after 3 unsuccessful attempts to get a good eye exam, we decided to do an exam under anesthesia.
My son has a retinal detachment. Currently he cannot see out of his Right eye. He is scheduled to have surgery to try and repair the damaged retina on September 16th. If you pray, please keep my son Logan in your prayers that they surgery is a success and that he will regain his vision in his right eye again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about this! I'll be praying for him and you all. Poor little guy! Take care of yourselves.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails